Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Stress

It's summertime, and I'm an elementary school teacher.  This is supposed to be the most wonderful time of *my* year.  But in reality, my summers always seem to suck.  Hard.  Two years ago, mom had her first bout with the MRSA and a pick line... 12 weeks of daily antibiotic infusions.  Last year, I flipped out and broke Shanni's heart... long recovery.  This year, Minerva was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma... healthy one day, terminal the next.  Right now she's doing ok... cuddly, social, but definitely not herself and needing lots of special care with feeding and the litterbox.  We'll see.  And I am nannying (is that a verb?) for my friends/neighbors across the street three days a week.  I adore their son, and when they asked me I didn't hesitate for a moment before signing up.  But it's 60 hours a week, including sleepless overnights.  It is exhausting and stressful and boring.  Don't get me wrong, we play and run errands and swim and wrestle and eat and stroll and generally have a great time together.  But when he's not awake, there's nothing really to do because I'm not at home (and he won't sleep here. Tried that.)   And at night, I can't sleep for anything... between the quiet buzz of the monitor, the worry that he's going to wake up, and the uncomfortable couch (which is somewhat less uncomfortable than the guest bed)... I am not sleeping at all.  Overall, not the summer I was hoping for.  But I should know better by now :P

Anyway...enough whining.  I've been trying to pack my Monday and Friday as full of creating as possible.  Here's what I've got this week. 
A pretty little Michael's frame I made to show off our ultrasound pictures.  They deserved something a little nicer than the front of the fridge. :)
A Zach and Kenzie layout.  They've been in Utah for the past 3 weeks and I'm missing them like crazy.  But they should be with us Friday. Hooray!

That's all for now.  I have a special Thursday off, thanks to a long holiday weekend, and I'm going to enjoy it!

No comments: