Sunday, August 28, 2011

Busy Beginnings

So the new school year started here August 10th.  That means I actually went back to work the last week of July, spent countless hours arranging the classroom, lesson planning, attending professional development for the new math program we'll be using on our campus, and organizing boatloads of papers and materials.  Then I had to prepare for Meet the Teacher night, which is always fun but lots of work.

Then the kids came.  Getting to know them, teaching and reteaching and reviewing the procedures and expectations for our classroom. And the meetings came, faculty meetings and parent meetings and team meetings.  Last week was Curriculum Night when all the parents come to hear what their children will be learning, see how I teach and present, and get buried under district paperwork.

But I made it to *this* weekend, the end of the third week of school, finally past all the evening commitments and the beginning of the year chaos.  And to celebrate, of course, I got sick.  My immune system hung in there just long enough and when the tidal wave of stress and extra work passed, the germs took over.  Sucks. It's just a cold - tired, a bit achy, super snotty, lots of sneezing - but it still sucks. 

We did have birthday plans this weekend, movies and dinner and brunches, but it was all canceled.  I've been sleeping a lot and burning through tissues like nobody's business.  There have been some highlights, though.  I did get to go to my favorite LSS yesterday and use my birthday coupon, ordered the Glee Club kit and Debate Team add-on from SC using another birthday coupon, and ordered a bit from Twopeas using a gift certificate.  And after I woke up from yesterday's nap, I made this.

I suppose I can't complain *too* much then.  It wasn't the weekend I hoped for, but given the circumstances, it hasn't been all bad.  And that's that.  My Kleenex and I are ready for another nap...

No comments: