Monday, November 29, 2010

November Moments

Well, this has certainly been one of the most memorable - and B U S Y - Novembers in memory.  It went a little something like this...

  • Baby shower.  Nothing beats being, well, showered with adorable baby girl gifts from all the people you love and who love you back.
  • Rosie's cancer scare.  The words "negative" and "biopsy" are a beautiful pair.
  • Thanksgiving.  My brother and his wife actually both came, and brought a baby gift no less. Our whole crazy family of 8 +1 were gathered around our dinner table, and it was wonderful. Cooking, carving, eating, cleaning, throwing bags outside after dinner, and lots and lots of laughter.
  • Black Friday.  First in line at Wal-mart, baby.  Me in lane 6, Rosie in lane 7.  Mm hmm, that's right.
  • Decking the halls.  Normally we have the fullest, fattest 9 foot Christmas tree ever, chock full of balls and bulbs and a royal pain in the ass to put up.  This year, since baby A could arrive any time after Christmas, we wanted to simplify a bit.  So we put up an adorable 4.5 footer packed with just our most precious ornaments. And we figure this will probably be our tree for the next few years to get us through the destructive toddler phase.  It's really a very sweet little tree.... I'm adjusting. 
  • Winterhaven.  We're going on Saturday, December 11.  I love this tradition with all my heart.
  • The nursery.  All of Shannon's gorgeous artwork is hung, the drawer pulls have been painted just the right shade of green, and the carpet has been cleaned.  I couldn't imagine a more perfect room for our baby girl.
  • 12 Days of Christmas.  I've decided that the December Daily is just too much for me, and I happened to stumble upon a blog with an abbreviated but equally special version of it that focuses just on the twelve most important holiday moments and events of the season.  *This* feels much more manageable to me, and I'm almost done creating my foundation.  I'll post picks as soon as it's done.
  • Shannon's birthday.  We topped off the long holiday weekend with a simple celebration, just the two of us.  I made her breakfast, she opened gifts, we went to the movies together.  It was delightful. 

In fact, this whole month has been delightful.  Ending a rough year on a wonderfully high note, it seems.  I hope this keeps up.

No comments: