Thursday, December 3, 2009

Time

Time sure seems to be flying lately. And the faster it goes, the more precious it becomes. We just celebrated Shanni's birthday. On Thanksgiving, we put candles in her apple pie and partied with Mom and Dad. But on her birthday proper, we went to Sushi Broker's for my first official sushi dinner. Delish! And afterward she had a chance to blow out the candles on a real birthday cake.

Monday, she and I went to a new doctor to plan the start of our family. I can't tell you how ready we are to be parents, and how much we are hoping to be blessed with a healthy new baby.

And, on the other end of the spectrum, my friend Kathy lost her mother Carol this weekend. Only 66, she had long battled with aneurisms, lung cancer, and many other health issues, and her poor, tired body finally gave in. Absolutely heartbreaking. My love and prayers go to Kathy and her family.

In the midst of all these crazy life events, births and deaths, it reminds me to treasure every moment I have with my parents. So often, I get bogged down with the burden of care-taking, the worry, the inconvenience, the frustration with Mom's illness, forgetfulness, carelessness and Dad's gruffness and poor planning. But none of that crap matters. What matters is I can still pick up the phone and hear their voices, drive literally around the corner and hold their hands. And, when we can't take it any more, we can yell and fight, too. I made dinner on Monday night and took them half of the meatloaf, and last night we went to dinner together at Long John Silver's. My goal this holiday season is to stay focused on what a gift it is to still have my parents with me, strive to be a care-giver, and to celebrate our time together.

Wishing you and your family love and time.....

No comments: